Alternating Current


Alternating Currents
Characteristics of alternating currents

Peak current, I0 = 3 A
Peak-to-peak current, Ip-p = 6 A
Period, T = 20 ms
Frequency, f = 1 / T = 50 Hz
Angular Frequency, ω = 2 π f = 314 rad s-1
Instantaneous current: the current at a particular instant.
Since this A.C. signal can be described by the equation:
I = I0 sin (ω t)
or V = V0 sin (ω t)
the instantaneous current I or voltage V at time t is given by I0 sin (ωt) or V0 sin (ωt).
Note: Both the period and amplitude of a sinusoidal A.C should be constant.
Root-mean-square current of an alternating current is defined as that steady {NOT direct} current that produces the same heating effect {ie I2 R} as the alternating current in a given resistor.
(Instantaneous) sinusoidal current: I = I0sinωt , { Similarly, V = V0 sinωt }
Irms = Io / √2, Vrms = vo / √2, {for sinusoidal ac only}
Relationship between Peak, & RMS values of PD & Current: V0 = I0R , Vrms = IrmsR
Mean/Ave Power, Pave = Irms2 R = Vrms2 / R = Irms / Vrms = ½ x Maximum Instantaneous Power = ½ I0V0 {for sinusoidal AC}
Max (Instantaneous) Power, Pmax = I0V0 = I02 R
The root-mean-square (R.M.S.) value, Irms, of an A.C. is the magnitude of the direct current that produces the sameaverage heating effect as the alternating current in a given resistance whereas peak value is the maximum current of an AC.
Ideal transformer: Vp Ip = Vs Is → NS / NP = VS / VP = IP / IS
{Mean power in the primary coil = Mean power in the secondary coil )
{Values of I & V may be either R.M.S. or peak but not instantaneous values; NS / NP: turns ratio}
Power Loss during Transmission of Electrical Power

Power Generated at power station Pgen = Vi I,
where I: current in the transmission, Vi: Voltage at which power is transmitted
I = Pgen / Vi
Power Loss in Transmission Cables, PL = I2 RC = (Pgen / Vi)2 RC ;RC = cable resistance
Thus to reduce power loss, for a given amt of power generated, electricity is transmitted at high voltage Vi {ie low current}. {Viis NOT the pd across the cables}
Rectification with a diode
If a single diode is connected to an A.C. circuit as shown, a half-wave rectification occurs.

The graphs for the input and output voltages, and the output current, are shown below.

In the regions A and C, the diode is forward biased, allowing current to flow. When the input voltage becomes negative, the diode prevents the current flow, because it is reverse biased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grade thresholds

All Definitions Needed For A Level (Part 1)